Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Mason Jar Salad - Asian Salad

Mason Jar Salad - Asian Salad

I did this one a few weeks ago and didn't post a recipe. But it is a winner for sure!!! So good and so filling. I can't wait to make it again. I definitely recommend giving this one a try.

When I made it, I didn't have all of the ingredients for the dressing, so I used a store bought low sodium spicy peanut dressing. My only change next time will be to actually make the dressing at home. One so it's healthier and also so I can make it less spicy! The ingrediant I was missing was sambal oelek, but I found out after the fact that it is a type of chili paste. Since I don't like much spice, I may go without or use a pinch of chili powder instead the next time around.

Finished Jars

This recipe is for 4 16oz mason jars. Adjust quantities as needed.

Ingredients for the Dressing:
-2 Tbsp peanut butter
-4 tsp sambal oelek
-4 tsp rice vinegar
-4 tsp soy sauce
-1/4 cup EVOO
-1 Tbsp black sesame seeds

Ingredients for the Salad:
-4 oz soba noodles
-1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
-1 cup shelled edamame, cooked
-2 large carrots, shredded (and peeled if you prefer)
-4 green onions, thinly sliced
-1/2 cup crunchy rice noodles

To start, cook the noodles and edamame according to the directions on the package. I ended up buying dried edamame and reconstituting it in a pot of boiling water. I couldn't taste the difference, but fresh would be healthier. While those are cooking, stir together all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.

Divide the dressing equally between the 4 mason jars. Divide the cooked doodles evenly and add on top of the dressing. Layer the remaining ingredients in order. When I make this again, I will leave the rice noodles out and add the day I enjoy the salad to keep them crisp. They were still good in the jars, but did not add any crunch to the salad.

To add protein, you could add 3-4 oz of grilled steak or pork on top of the finished salad!


Ready to eat!




No comments:

Post a Comment